Creative thinking can be defined as something out of the box, something that is creative in a manner and an eye catcher whereas lateral thinking can be defined as a process which includes using the available information and presenting it in a creative and a different manner. Lateral thinking will require creative thinking along with logic and innovation. Therefore, we must understand some important points on creative thinking vs lateral thinking.
Creative people always have a sense of innovation. They have the ability to give some thought on a subject and get the best out of it through their ideas. Creative people are the most valuable people because they present everything in a new light and grab attention easily. Your creative skills can be developed when you practice creative techniques.
Creative techniques can be developed by ‘self work’. Get on with it and identify your hidden potential –
- Analyze –
Creativity won’t come into play if you don’t really understand the true meaning of the subject. Before putting too much focus on the creativity portion UNDERSTAND the situation. Once you’ve successfully understood everything get on the creativity.
2. Keep an open – mind –
Creativity only comes if you have an open mind. Think openly and see your ideas getting better and only better.
3. Problem Solving –
Your creativity shouldn’t only play part while you are thinking, It should be used in such a way that it also works to solve all the important problems and issues.
Also read: Importance of Cognitive Skills
4. Organize your ideas –
If everything is a mess you won’t be able to think clearly. Rather than solving anything it will only create confusion and give rise to other problems. Organize your ideas in such a way that you have clear steps that lead you towards your goals.
5. Communicate –
Keeping your ideas to yourself is okay. But sometimes you need reviews and suggestions. Discuss your ideas with a trust-able person and make a note of their views and suggestions. Include them in your creative ideas and get on your goal more strategically.
On the other hand, Lateral thinking will give rise to new interesting ideas from the one pre-existing known ideas. Edward de Bono defines four types of thinking tools:
- Idea generating Tools –
This tool brings in the creativity in your thinking at the first step. It frees your new thinking patterns from the usual ordinary ones.
2. Focus Tools –
It introduces your mind to new aspects that will help you while you’re looking for new ideas.
3. Harvest Tools –
This tool guarantees that highest value is received from the output of your generated idea.
4. Treatment Tools –
This tool shapes your imagination according to the real world and it’s resources.
Also read: Smart Living Tips
Lateral thinking can be used anytime you find yourself confused or trapped in a ‘mental’ situation.
- Problem Solving –
Sometimes you may experience situations in life where you have to think of an alternate way of dealing with the situation. In a matter of less time lateral thinking will help you think in a broader sense. Train yourself so that you can think more efficiently in common day life problems and get a different solution to it.
2. Finding New Ways –
No matter how much you have been trained or have the ability to think differently there are always some ways that you are still unaware of and have not come across till date. By using the lateral thinking techniques you will be able to increase your thinking potential and will find ways that will even be new to you – Both effective and efficient.
3. For Inventions and Innovation –
It is well known that creativity gives rise to something extraordinary. While you are creative you can work towards ‘inventing’ new things and giving birth to ‘innovation’. Lateral thinking techniques give a direction to your thoughts and brings in more confidence in your ideas.
Lateral thinking is a short process. You do not have to contribute majority of your time on training yourself. A minute or two or even thirty seconds of your contributions to it will work wonders for you. You will find new approach and concepts to every situation. Some of the lateral thinking techniques are discussed below:
1. Alternatives – Use ways to think of new ideas.
2. Focus – Focus more. Improve more.
3. Challenge – Challenge yourself. Don’t go after the ordinary.
4. Random Entry – Find connections between things that seem unrelated. It will open new horizons of thinking.
5. Provocation and Movement – Create provoking thoughts and use them to generate new ideas..something interesting and different.
6. Harvesting – Select only those ideas that seem most realistic. This technique is all about converting your initial ideas into something valuable and meaningful.
7. Treatment of ideas – It includes strengthening your ideas in such a way that they are best suitable for the given situation.
Also read: Tips to Develop Interview Skills
You can always improve your lateral thinking skills. Practice these exercises and boost your abilities –
- Mind mapping – Jot down all the ideas that you can think of and gather your thoughts. When you’ll read your ideas and think deeply you’ll find answers and will be able to develop your lateral skills.
- Use your senses – It’s not very common that we use all of our five senses – sight, smell, taste, touch and hear while solving problems. Most of the times we only use your visual power. But other senses are quite helpful too. Think of a time when you can not think of anything new just go and record your ideas or basically whatever you are thinking of. Once you’re done listen to it at least twice. You’ll be able to tally all the points that you’ve mentioned and all that you forgot will strike your mind almost immediately.
- Reverse thinking – Sometimes you may find yourself stuck in a situation. No matter how hard you try to find/think of a solution to get out of it you still are left clueless. You are totally blank. So, if you ever find yourself in such a situation use your reverse thinking ability to find a solution to your problem. Think of the end result of the problem. Once you’ve pictured it and all of it’s aspects start working in reverse motion to find the initial point of your problem in hand.
Also read: Importance of Character Building
These important points on creative thinking vs lateral thinking will help you work on your thinking process and get the best out of yourself. Creative thinking and lateral thinking are important for every individual’s growth. StrengthsTheatreAcademy, being one of the leading personality development classes offer personality development training programs for every age conducted by Sanjeev Datta, the jury member of Miss India Organisation. These personality development training programs are designed keeping in mind the essence of both creative thinking and lateral thinking.